Yeah last Saturday didn’t go well at all. Much to my chagrin, no gameplay nor any elements of design have been near implemented since last week.

This directly because the level streaming still wasn’t working consistently (Cannot implement levels) and the API still has not been successfully tested through despite Ryan and Garret having finished it over a week ago (Cannot implement puzzles). The latter of which not being done because the newly rewritten object grabbing system has still been too buggy to grab puzzle objects, where every time a puzzle in the API is being tested, they haven’t been able to distinguish an nonfunctional puzzle from a hand not colliding properly. It’s been a genuine shitstorm of project dependencies back up.

Since so little progress was made last Saturday, I made a point to hammer home for everyone how serious this was for our production staying on track. That these system issues need to be resolved, we need a stable build, we need new gameplay content, and we need to QA test as soon as possible or we will fall behind for the scope the game needs. A week of the programmers having to work independently, other class work over their heads, and computers outside of the school labs not agreeing with the Vive, we’re just about back to Saturday with no dependency still yet crossed off the list. Progress was made for each, but boy much slower than preferred.

I did manage to help with the room streaming issues by spending time this past week to simply go into the Unreal project file and clean all of the scene clutter. This by reorganizing the world outline with folders splitting by levels and object types and zeroing the room locations in world space so streaming code would use much cleaner and consistent math. It was certainly satisfying work and long overdue. I’m also glad I could do it as opposed to leaving Mike to clean up our mess considering he’ll be the one organizing it from this point forward as level designer. Beyond this, the actual positive highlight of my week was being late in the labs with this tedious work left me to continuously brainstorm for more narrative and puzzle ideas, boosting a considerable amount of design progress for myself. All managed into documentation for Mike and David to view. It was a nice creative boon for the night, something to contrast my feelings of where the prototype is.

Since both Wednesday’s past class and today’s programmer meeting, it seems the level streaming issues have been ironed out (So I’ve been told, crossing fingers), the object grabbing system has been successfully reverted back to it’s original functionally, and they’ve learned a few handfuls more about how the API is functioning. Their meeting today was cut short, so they’re planning to get into our work meeting a few hours early tomorrow. This to get as much API testing and fixing done as possible so the rest of the team may all get our in-prototype work done.

Playable build, game-play content implementation, and QA testing. Sprint 2 should be doable, we just need to catch up now.